In the first term, I selected 4 students to be my target students. I chose students who were starting at level 0, pre-reading and who did not yet have any sight words or letter-sound knowledge.
Initially, I collated the soft data on each student. This came from both the students and from their parents NE questionnaires and interview forms. As the term progressed. I recorded anecdotal notes (see below) specific to the reading achievement, there classroom behavior and any information from home.
At the end of term 1, I removed one student who was already tracking to achieve above national standard and I added two newer students. As they had come at a later stage, they posed different challenges in meeting their learning needs within the classroom programmes.
I will keep reassessing the target students to ensure that the group represents the students with the most to gain by a targeted focus on their learning. This will often reflect my newer learners. In term two I had eight new students I my class, so I need to see which of these would be best served joining my target group for Term 3, and who can be moved out.
Forever curious, always learning, deep thinking teacher. I am a New Entrant teacher and loving it.